The content of this website is mine alone and does not necessarily reflect the views of the U.S. Government, the Peace Corps, or the Panamanian Government.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Un Año!?!


 It’s been another month in Barranquilla. I spent the beginning of September in Panama City for a training event and a bunch of doctor appointments. Good news: no parasites or cavities for me!! My group (G79) stayed in the City to celebrate our ONE YEAR mark. We’ve all made it an entire year in our communities and we had a great time in Panama City! It’s hard to believe that an entire year has passed so quickly, yet I struggled to get through my fair share of slow days in site. PCVs like to say, “slow days, fast weeks” and I think that describes it perfectly. I am surprised (and a little impressed) at how much I’ve learned and managed to overcome in the last year. Living in the campo isn’t always easy, but I have a great community that supports me (even more than I support them, I suspect).
Sometimes I look nice

Then: From my first week in site
Now: Just a few days ago



















In the last few weeks, I visited a neighboring Volunteer, attended a series of funerals, and weathered my second hurricane in Panamá. I hiked three hours to a nearby Volunteer’s community to help her facilitate a seminar for her Water Committee. It’s a beautiful hike during which I have to cross: 3 rivers, 2 cow pastures, several streams, countless rickety log bridges, and one bamboo grove. It was great to visit another Volunteer and see the beautiful areas around my community.
Pretty countryside 
Not another uphill...

Halfway there!!











Sadly, two of my community members died on the same day: September 16. One was Nanda, an old abuela who taught me to make kras (traditional Ngabe craft) and always gifted me oranges. She was like the abuela to the entire community. I attended her velorio (an overnight vigil of the body that is similar to a wake) and funeral with the rest of my community members. The other was a one-year-old girl, the daughter of my neighbor. Despite going to the hospital, Ortencia was already too sick and the doctors could not help her. These deaths have certainly been trying for me as well as my entire community. We essentially spent two weeks in mourning, attending many nights of velorio and both funerals.

I also had the opportunity to spend a day with some of my minions at a presentation of traditional Panamanian dances. The kids have been practicing every day after school for months to prepare. School come from all over the area, but my school was the only one from a very rural and "out there" community. They did a fantastic job and are continuing to practice for a big parade in November to celebrate Panama's Independence Day!
They're ready to dance!

¡Muy cool!









Love the polleras (traditional skirt)































Just as I was preparing to attend a regional meeting for my province (after spending a month straight in Barranquilla), a hurricane was passing north of Panamá through Nicaragua and Honduras, heading for the US. It turns out the storm came close enough to the Caribbean side of Panamá that it was causing torrential rains, mudslides, and high wind. In Barranquilla, we only suffered from the high winds. It was 24 hours straight of huge wind gusts. My gente said that they hadn’t seen this kind of wind in 20 years. It was so strong that zinc roofs were blowing off houses, trees were blown over, my shower got blown down, and the gusts would shake my entire house. Luckily, there was no major damage to my house or in my community, although we did spend some time chasing down sheets of zinc and parts of my shower.
Taking selfies as I wait for my chiva...


Coming up in October, I have a visit from one of my bosses to meet with my community and set up a work plan for my last year in Barranquilla. Then it’s November, aka the party month. The ferias start and won’t really end until New Year’s. And, I’m excited to say that I’ll be coming to visit the USA for a couple of weeks in December!




Selling oranges to the construction guys 


My youngest host sis is almost 1!








Nap time at Buchi's


My host family got 2 new bunnies!





Just bringing supplies to the tienda (store)



       




1 comment: